San Diego Special Education law Blog

(619) 764-6168

How To Change a Child's Name to Conform with Gender Identity in San Diego

Posted by Paul Hefley | Apr 21, 2021 | 0 Comments

A parent or guardian can petition the court to change a child's name to conform to the child's gender identity. This process doesn't legally change the child's gender. In order to legally change the child's gender, petitioners must follow a different filing process.

The filing process for a name change may require the following steps:

1. Fill out the required court forms, which include the Petition for Change of Name, Attachment to Petition for Change of Name, and Civil Case Cover Sheet. If a petition does not include the signatures of both living parents, the petition and an Order to Show Cause for Change of Name to Conform to Gender Identity must be served on the non-petitioning parent within 30 days.

2. Make sure the documents are completed correctly before filing.

3. File the documents with the appropriate court and pay the required filing fee.

4. Serve the non-petitioning parent (if there is one) and have the process server complete and return the required Proof of Service of Order to Show Cause. 

5. Go to the court hearing, if necessary. If no good cause objection is filed within six (6) weeks of the date on the order to show cause, the court will grant the request for a name change without a hearing. If a good cause objection is filed, the court will set a hearing date and send the petitioner notice. Bring a completed copy of the Decree Changing Name. If the judge grants the request for a name change, she will sign the Decree Changing Name

6. Get a certified copy of the Decree Changing Name from the court clerk. 

Should you have any questions about how to change a child's name to conform with gender identity in San Diego, please contact my office.

NOTICE: This is for general information purposes only. This site and its information is not legal advice; nor is it intended to be. Please consult an attorney for advice about your individual situation. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.

About the Author

Paul Hefley

Paul is an experienced litigator and trial attorney. He has litigated special education cases in the California Office of Administrative Hearings, the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Schedule a Free Consultation Today

Get your child's education program back on track in 2024.


IEP Law Firm PC is committed to answering your questions about California special education law and helping you address any issues you may be facing.

We offer a free consultation and will gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.